In a few days, I will embark on my 6th year of homeschooling. It’s hard to believe it has been that long. As I look back and reflect on when I first started, I remember how young my now 10 year old was. I remember my belly growing with baby #4. I remember my smart and silly 8 year old wasn’t quite 3 and begging to sit next to us at the big table. I had no idea what awaited us. That little tiny baby is soon to be 5 years old, full of energy and learning more and more everyday. My 10 year old would later be diagnosed with dyslexia which would shape how we homeschooled for years to come. Two more children have been added to our family and we are officially beginning our 6th year on Monday!
Over the years, I’ve done different school schedules (4 days a week, year round, Summers off, December off … to name a few) and I’ve tried different routines (school in the morning, school in the afternoon). We’ve used various curriculum and tried different teaching styles. We’ve made plans and changed plans. This year will be different from any year up until now because we have 6 kids. Two of these kids are preschoolers and three are older. At times, it can be overwhelming and much of the time fun and exciting but I want to take a moment to take a deep breath and write down my new school year resolutions to share with you all. (Contains Affiliate Links)
New School Year Resolutions
- Teach Character Building –We will read through this book again
- Work on Kindness – My children are still doing a Bible Study found here
- Be in the Word. Everyday. I’m thinking of trying this app.
- Make new habits (and stick with them) – We will be doing habit training from SCM
- Remember homeschooling is a marathon not a sprint.
- Be realistic about how much you can accomplish in one day.
- Make time for fun – Be silly, play games, take walks, live life
- Throw away the plans sometimes and just enjoy your children – Read together for fun not just for school
- Focus on your children’s strengths not weaknesses
- Pray for your children. Everyday.